Thursday, May 6, 2010

When It Rains..

There shall be showers of blessings......
Showers of blessings we need....
Mercy drops round us are falling..........
But for the showers we plead...’

Rain or monsoon is the most beautiful of all the four seasons given to us by the Mother Nature and has always been assumed to be a season in which the Almighty showers His blessings on us. With the arrival of the first drops of rain after long hot weeks everything living or non-living starts becoming more and more beautiful. The valleys turn lush green and adding to that are the temporary waterfalls which are especially common in India. Where rain brings new hopes to the farmers, romance to the lives of adolescents and at least a cooler weather for the others, water logging brings joy to the younger ones as they get a chance to experience the fun of living on an island and practise their paper boat making skills. On the whole rain is a special shower of life and enthusiasm after a long and hot summer.

Rain has always been very special in my life. Today, when I stand in the rain to feel the water drops and relax and to go back to my childhood days, droplets of memories come rushing pelting my head...each drop bringing a new memory- a different episode of me as a child. Rain has always been special...as a child my younger days were spent in a rather old and lower part of a city where rain is beautiful until it decides to become a calamity and take away several lives causing diseases. I still remember the water logged streets of the city. We used to make paper boats and leave them with a message to reach to other friend sitting in his flat. The first rain of the season was always meant to enjoy it properly and get rid of the body heat. We would go out in a group to enjoy the rain and come back wet to get scolded and later on have a hot glass of milk with some hot snacks. The rain not only pulls me towards the memories of enjoyment but also to the memories of the tasty food specially served in rainy season by my mom. It also reminds me of the excitement with which I used to wait for the special dishes prepared in this season. Wow whenever I look back, I relish those days and wonder if it is really compulsory to grow up!
But as it is said, a man changes drastically with time....now the rain and the fun are only memories. Today also when it rains I want to go out and enjoy...jump in the logged water...get thoroughly wet and have fun but when I visualise the scene I find myself alone and others staring at me as if I am doing something really crazy. Then comes to mind my favourite question “why can’t people be as innocent and fun loving as they were in their younger days?” In today’s situation where everyone is getting pressed under the weight of their own ego of their achievements, tension for proving them better than others, nobody even bothers to look out of the glass buildings and at least thank the nature for blessing us with a season called rainy season. Today, when I am out in my car and it rains, I simply pull up the glasses of the car so that I don’t become wet. But, I always remember the past where rain used to be a refill of energy and excitement in my life. Today I don’t go out to enjoy rain not because I don’t get time but because I consider it too childish to do. I would rather prefer to be in a high class party in a star hotel with a drink in one hand and a forced smile on face listening to all the rubbish gossip served for free there. This is not because I enjoy it but because it seems that this mature and sober behaviour


will earn me a respect amongst others which is incomparable. I know it’s not but have accepted it to be a fact.
Certain things in life are probably for only one time and for me rain comes at the starting of the list. Rain has always been an integral part of my life. But I still get wet in rain and enjoy with just a small difference. Now, not the cold water from heavens but the old memories refreshes me. Rain still holds its importance as a season to refill life and enthusiasm in me and I still enjoy and eagerly wait for it to arrive.

1 comment: