Sunday, November 20, 2011

Milestone11 - The turning point


It just takes a willful thought!

Many times we think that a certain work cannot be done or a goal cannot be achieved. I know of people or to be frank even me, categorize work in a category of "undoable" things. For these type of tasks we sub-consciously put in a lighter effort taking it by default that we are never going to finish it successfully. Once this category starts existing, the list keeps growing and by the time we get a chance to sit and stare at the list, analyzing which amongst all the listed work could really be not done by us, the list would have increased manifolds. And hence, many things in life remain undone or unexplored because we think that we cannot do it!

I used to belong to the same class of people with a big list of "undoable" things hanging from their pockets until the recent success of a plan which I expected to be almost a flop. Coming back to the hostel after all my close buddies left was always a nightmare for past one semester. Several plans were set in my mind. Few of them were to not to make any new friends and save my dignity and respect of being the senior most in the hostel, giving my 100% to studies and just finishing my day of penance in this building which obviously would keep me haunting for the coming year with the memories of the past. Quite often I find myself connected with this building with the same emotions as those of a typical Indian bride of the old bollywood movies with their in-laws' house where in they say " yaha to mai palki mein aayi thi aur abb arthi par hi jaungi" or sometimes as a child who being born in a house connects with it as its own replica. After all, this building was my second home when I first settled down in my life after the disturbing periods of Kota and my +2 at SMHS,Patna. The memories of the late night masti in the 1st year and intimate talks with Ashish in the 2nd year and the memories of guidance from C.V.D'Cruz and subsequent selection has the Hostel Coordinator still pelt my face with a rich gush of memories. Passing through the same corridors I have, strangely heard the echos of the past! But, these memories have always been sweet to be remembered..just as the mouth freshener, they leave a tinge of sweetness - never HAUNT! Slowly time passed and reluctantly I started getting comfortable with the changed situation at the Residences@DSI. Once again I started looking beyond the old faces to find new people, my eyes once again thirsty to find a suitable friend. I had started scanning people once again! And by the time I realized, I had already scanned almost everyone present around me and probably located the best option also. But, the fact that all of them were quite younger than me and were juniors pushed me away from getting close to them for quite sometime. After all I believe in keeping people at a safe distance so that they don't sit on your head. Probably it was loneliness and the compulsive situation that I gave in - I opened myself to make new friends.

Keeping intact the memories of old friends had become my DHARMA and I kept myslef reminded that at any cost the new ones should never be on a higher priority than the older ones. OLD IS GOLD! Casuals hi - bye had to develop into closeness and it obviously happened. Found quite some people who carry a level of respect and liking for me and importantly I was able to reciprocate the same to them. But, there was still emptiness! Stories of the past days in the hostel had not only tempted the juniors also had injected a doze of enthusiasm in me to do something again. Something which would give me a chance to interact with people, and to establish myself as a capable leader in the crowd of 503. There was always this gut feeling which in the voice of my mum used to remind me that I could not afford to spoil my studies again due to all these. After much debate between my double mind, I concluded that I would organize some event. So be it! Went to the warden and got the permission for a Musical Evening - Milestone 11. That was heroic for myself but heroism would'nt last for long if this event did not happen. So started pulling out talents. "Making old Goats work is difficult" so this time it was the freshers batch. Love, affection and dominance, all blended together as a formula of effective leadership. Things happened, resistance was offered but, at the end of everything, the event happened as decided and to be precise was a HIT! First time after so many years the residences had once again tasted co-curricular activity. Appreciation started pouring in in all forms from all.

When I look back and sit to realize, I find only one driving force which made this event what it was and an unforgettable part of everyone's life present that evening. And that one thing was 'Determination'. The stubborn attitude of doing it and proving my mettle. I guess if this attitude or determination is practiced then very easily we would find the list of 'undoable' things getting shorter day by day and our efficiency growing faster. Milestone 8 helped me discover myself and Milestone 11 re installed all the previous findings.I obviously enjoy a better recognition in the hostel and attention of all - which I always wanted. Now, if I don't do anything, I would at least know that it's by my own choice that I am not doing it than putting it in the list of the 'undoable'. And as I said - "It just takes a willful thought".

No comments:

Post a Comment